Sunday, January 25, 2009

You Know You're PhD Student When ...

Everytime you open your mouth, it's about your research progress (or the lack of it!).

Scenario: Me walking into the lab. Head hanging down.

Mr L (yg digeruni itu, tp dah jd kawan baik): So, did you solve your problem?

Me: No. I'm giving up using Windows coz there's just so many incomplete packages and I've started to run it using Linux now. I know it's a long shot coz I have to re-do everything all over again, but I really do hope it works this time.... blah ...blah (goes on to describe in detail about problem).

Mr L: Err...? (Five seconds of silence) ... I meant, did you solve the problem you had with the council tax?

Me: (Slaps forehead).. Oh God! I'm so sorry. I thought we were talking about my installation problem....

Yeah. You're a PhD student when all you can think of and have been talking about is your work, your work, your work, so much so, that you've even had nightmares in your sleep night and you totally lost track of who you've spoken about your work and who you haven't.


It's gonna be a long three years, isn't it?

In addition, I do have a problem with the stupid tax. Ada mix-up sket. Bosan betul. Tp dah pegi city council td. Harap2 settle...

3 comments:

sumpit said...

good for u. me? i try to avoid talking about my studies whenever i can for fear of sounding like an idiot. Cuak gak kalu ckp, takot silap term la, takot tak logik, takot mcm2, ya Allah, pls gv me the strength to be confident in everything that i do :(

Oyis said...

sumpit:
mmg.... org kat sini mmg guna term2 yg specific utk explain kan setiap sesuatu. aku pon takut silap gak, or sometimes lost for words sbb x ingat apa nama term tu. hopefully diorg see it as language barrier je hehe... cover2... plus, they seem to have copies of all the good papers that they refer to and always bring it out bila sembang2 ptg. kalo aku la, nama author pon sometimes terkial2.. heh..

Anonymous said...

hahahha aku dh lalui itu..kekek...sampai SV aku ckp..wait2..i dont understand what are you talking now..could you please explain more? hhaha..malu seh...