Sempat menghadiri satu sesi menarik ttg thesis hari ni. Cumanya, hati agak gusar sbb penceramah tu berkata, kalo byk bar chart dlm tesis itu bkn lah tesis yg bagus, kerana bar chart adalah utk budak 12 tahun. Dia actually pernah bg comment mcm tu dkt pelajar PhD yg dia examine, dan dia ckp, mmg student tu sgt sentap dgn dia (penceramah ni background pure sciences, if anyone needs to know).
Belek2 balik kerja, hmm.. bole tahan byk nya jg bar/column chart yg aku ada so far ni. So, terpaksa tangguh kjp kerja at hand, and study balik jenis2 chart and how to create more professional-looking graphs. Blog entry pon sama, habis hilang mood nak letak gmbr2 happy yg telah di pelan, sbb, well.. I just don't feel that happy sgt nih hah...
Anyway, for my own notes, and kot bole tolong sesapa, here's a gist of what I gathered today. I put the links instead of copy pasting the diagrams on their web here, because I had learnt from my GTA class that it is wrong to copy (it's plagiarising) diagram/photos sesuka hati even kalo dah bg kredit pon in the end, kalo imej itu tiada Creative Commons licence. Oleh sbb malas nak bg kredit / cek status imej sesatu, I buh links je lah ye. Anyway, from the keywords pon dah cukup utk Google dan sendiri teroka, Insya Allah:
1. For long labels, change orientation of bar graph - read more here
2. Sort labels by values, not arbitrarily or alphabetically - read more here
3. Try using single clustered bar chart - read more here
4. Alternatively, can try using dot plots instead of bar chart - read more here
5. Even better, try using multi-panel dot chart - read more here
6. Start bar chart from zero baseline to avoid misguidance of data - read more here
6. Remove non-white pixels on graphs - read more here
7. For line graphs, never connect the dots, but give best-fit line instead - read more here
Those yg kalo mmg byk bar chart, I'm not saying it's wrong, heck, I have quite a substantial amount of them, coz I thought they would make the examiners' lives a lot easier kalo senang nak interpret, but I'm going to have to discuss this with my SV first and see if he can give me an HONEST opinion of what he thinks of my 'primitive' charts. So far dia OK je, but I'll discuss with him later once I have done some adjustments to them, to see if he thinks they are better after being 'fixed' and 'fancifed' (the latter is not a word, btw).
Harap2 aku bkn sengaja mencari keja extra x pasal.